Welcome to the June 2022 Release Notes
Our global growth takes an industrial flavor for this month with warehouses, distribution centers, airports and more!
2022-05-27/1653688556 shipped 2022-06-03)
- +104k new POI across the globe
- +188 new brands across 143 countries
- Warehouse and Distribution POI for over 45 new brands 🚚
- +6k Global Airports with precise polygons
SafeGraph is delivering more POI each month in countries around the world. This month SG Places has a grand total of 19,043,998, including POI with or without geometry, closed POI and parking lots. This is a net increase of 103,864 places from last month (+38,831🇺🇸, +5,838🇨🇦, -1,099🇬🇧, +60,294 outside these geographies):
- + 99,895 standard POI (+36,653 🇺🇸, +5,552 🇨🇦, -1,032 🇬🇧, +58,722 )
- + 3,969 point-only POI (+2,178 🇺🇸, +286🇨🇦, -67🇬🇧) +1,572 )
We've added a grand total of 188 brands across 143 countries. Some of the highlights:
- PENNY (SG_BRAND_65864094ed255302) with 3,763 POI 🛒
- Ditsch (SG_BRAND_71b8a59a7b5ba739) with 2,461 POI 🥨
- Action (SG_BRAND_9159d007ac9a1d0e) with 2,041 POI 🛒
Are we missing a brand or country? Please let us know here!
- We rely on POI metadata to track store openings and closings, and we are especially interested in understanding open/close dates for branded POIs. It can take more than a month to infer open/close dates, so we report brand open/close metrics on a one month delay.
- In this release, we flagged 1,466 brands with at least one store closure in April 2022 and 1,620 brands with at least one store opening in April 2022:
Learn more about our open/close columns here
The POI we've added this month span a wide range of categories, including the following additions:
POI with geometry:
- Supermarkets and Other Grocery (except Convenience) Stores (445110) with +15,387 POI 🛒
- Limited-Service Restaurants (722513) with +9,313 POI
- Gasoline Stations with Convenience Stores (447110) with +7,465 POI
- Commercial Banking (522110) with +2,733 POI
- Financial Transactions Processing, Reserve, and Clearinghouse Activities (522320) with +2,388 POI
- Bus and Other Motor Vehicle Transit Systems (485113) with +284 POI
Warehouses and Distribution Centers
This month, we've expanded on our coverage of POI that are often termed "industrial". Essentially those facilities that support the flow of goods around the globe like distribution centers and warehouses. These POI, though sometimes associated with an existing consumer brand (like Albertson's or Trade Joe's), will have their own unique brand ID for easy identification and will be categorized as "General Warehousing and Storage" (493110). Here are a few examples:
- 317 Maersk locations (SG_BRAND_380a45709cce381f) 🚢
- 207 Sysco Distribution locations (SG_BRAND_fee71e7ff64c028b) 🚚
- 65 US Foods Distribution locations (SG_BRAND_486d557cee2a8daa) 🚚
- 25 Albertson's Distribution locations (SG_BRAND_d2a324f4d94cbbb2) 🛒
We've expanded our airport coverage globally and improved the polygons that we provide for each one🛩
A few representative examples:
- Charles de Gaulle International Airport (zzy-222@53v-64w-jn5), Paris, FR 🇫🇷
- Beijing Capital International Airport (zzy-222@6qk-ssj-skf), Beijing, CN 🇨🇳
- Rio Galeão Tom Jobim International Airport (zzy-222@kjj-2p4-tn5), Rio de Janeiro, BR 🇧🇷
- We are ingesting many sources and due to source changes and processing changes, Placekeys do drop over time. In this release, we dropped 82,913 Placekeys (31,431 branded and 51,482 non-branded).
- To keep track of the status, predecessors, and latest successor of each Placekey, you can try using the Lineage API.
With this release, SafeGraph has consolidated a couple of brands to improve accuracy and address duplicates.
- Under the American Eagle umbrella:
- "American Eagle Outlet"(SG_BRAND_642f6b0510afef11) will be removed as a unique brand and those stores will be consolidated with the broader "American Eagle Outfitters" brand (SG_BRAND_95a1de80f566759aafdc2a957a76de5a). That means the store count for American Eagle Outfitters will increase to reflect the removal of the Outlet brand. Note the former American Eagle Outlet stores will receive new Placekeys.
- "Aerie" (SG_BRAND_ed45067a557a14cf) will be removed as a unique brand and those stores will be consolidated with the broader "American Eagle Outfitters" brand (SG_BRAND_95a1de80f566759aafdc2a957a76de5a). Note these Aerie stores will now be named "AmericanEagle and Aerie" despite being assigned the new Brand ID and they will receive new Placekeys.
- The brand "Price Chopper" (SG_BRAND_cdc9c3cedf502f57) will merge with "Price Chopper New England" (SG_BRAND_11c3dca162d085812b85a046a1c40563). All stores associated with both Brand IDs will now reflect a single consolidated "Price Chopper" brand (SG_BRAND_11c3dca162d085812b85a046a1c40563). There will be no impact to individual Placekeys.
SafeGraph is aware of a bug that caused some brands to drop their
category_tags with this release. The issue has been addressed and will be rectified in the next monthly release. In the meantime, the tag values from the May release can be referenced as they would not have changed for these POI. If desired, contact your Customer Success Manager for a full list of the impacted brands.
Every month, we highlight some of our favorite new polygons getting released. This month, here are a few of the airports included around the globe 🛫
In last month's delivery, SG Monthly Patterns had 4,947,976 (US only). This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 4,258,241 (net -689,735).
Last month, SG Monthly Patterns had 1,194,021,229 visits from 41,171,760 visitors. This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 983,452,895 visits from 42,529,303 visitors (delta -210,568,334 visits, +1,357,543 visitors). This drop in total visits was expected as a result of the panel updates communicated in last month's release notes.
Our Neighborhood Patterns product, provides more generalized foot traffic flows across census block groups. In the
USwe have 2,261,578,230 raw stops (-104,585,973 from last month).
Neighborhood Patterns is available in Canada! 🇨🇦 Contact your CSM to learn more or add to your subscription. In
CAwe have 57,711,481 raw stops (+17,686,055 from last month).