Welcome to the January 2023 Release Notes!
Hard to believe its the first release of a new year!
2022-12-20/1671526803 shipped on 2023-01-03)
- +237K new POI across the globe
- +160 new brands across 131 countries
- 130K POI with improved country codes in CN 🇨🇳
SafeGraph is delivering more POI each month in countries around the world. This month SG Places has a grand total of 41,621,398, including POI with or without geometry, closed POI and parking lots. This is a net increase of 237,437 places from last month, including:
- +182,551 in US 🇺🇸
- +30,372 in BR 🇧🇷
- +11,285 in FR 🇫🇷
- +11,189 in CA 🇨🇦
- +5,600 in BE 🇧🇪
Of course, you can always visit our Places Summary Stats to find more details on our continued growth.
We've improved our handling of certain ISO Country Codes and removed some that should be encompassed by other countries, like those associated with some island territories.
The largest shift in this release occurred in China, where we've removed Hong Kong (HK) as a valid country code and reassigned those POIs to China (CN). Note, these POI will still reflect HK as their
region value. This accounted for 127k POI that newly reflect the
iso_country_code. An additional 3k POI shifted over from Mongolia (ML) due to improved handling of some boundary lines.
We've added a grand total of 160 brands across 131 countries. Some of the highlights:
- FedEx Drop Box (SG_BRAND_6a14be7dc316b23fab959dac9287980b) with 24,342 📦
- Ria Money Transfer (SG_BRAND_d5373e94cb5b27fd) with 21,609
- MAES (SG_BRAND_d5e19a574ca38282) with 1,703 POI
Are we missing a brand or country? Please let us know here!
- We rely on POI metadata to track store openings and closings, and we are especially interested in understanding open/close dates for branded POIs. It can take more than a month to infer open/close dates, so we report brand open/close metrics on a one month delay.
- In this release, we flagged 1,652 brands with at least one store closure in November 2022 and 2,047 brands with at least one store opening in November 2022:
Learn more about our open/close columns here
The POI we've added this month span a wide range of categories, including the following additions:
- POI with geometry:
- Full-Service Restaurants (722511) with +10,525 POI 🍽️
- Automotive Repair and Maintenance (8111) with +7,625 POI
- Clothing Stores (4481) with +6,552 POI 👖
- Point-only POI:
- Financial Transactions Processing, Reserve, and Clearinghouse Activities (522320) with +22,213 POI 🏧
- Couriers and Express Delivery Services (492110) with +15,365 POI ✉️
- Other Waste Collection (562119) with +3,474 POI 🗑️
- We are ingesting many sources and due to source changes and processing changes, Placekeys do drop over time. In this release, we dropped 103,943 Placekeys (62,106 branded and 41,837 non-branded).
Note: SafeGraph Patterns, Weekly Patterns, and Neighborhood Patterns are legacy products that will no longer be available at the start of 2023.
In last month's delivery, SG Monthly Patterns had 5,705,663 POIs (US only). This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 5,968,754 POIs (net +263,091).
Last month, SG Monthly Patterns had 938,095,627 visits from 18,686,757 visitors. This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 1,054,917,905 visits from 22,393,935 visitors (delta +116,822,278 visits, +3,707,178 visitors).
Our Neighborhood Patterns product, provides more generalized foot traffic flows across census block groups. In the
USwe have 2,265,097,677 raw stops (+194,278,121 from last month). In
CAwe have 42,535,814 raw stops (-1,299,213 from last month).