Welcome to the July 2022 Release!!!
Cue the fireworks! We've got plenty to celebrate with our largest update EVER. We now offer over 30M POI around the globe after a HUGE European expansion nearly doubled our standard POI count. Read on for more!
- +11.6M new POI across the globe
- +2.9M new non-branded POI in the US 🇺🇸
- +8.6M new POI internationally
- +143 new brands across 91 countries
- +1.9M new German polygons 🇩🇪
SafeGraph is delivering more POI each month in countries around the world. This month SG Places has a grand total of 30,630,825, including POI with or without geometry, closed POI and parking lots. This is a net increase of 11,586,827 places from last month (+2,951,549🇺🇸, +4,031🇨🇦, -3,587🇬🇧, +8,634,834 outside these geographies):
- + 11,565,904 standard POI (+2,936,094 🇺🇸, +3,735 🇨🇦, -3,071 🇬🇧, +8,629,146 )
- + 20,923 point-only POI (+15,455 🇺🇸, +296🇨🇦, -516🇬🇧, +5,688 )
Of course, you can always visit our Places Summary Stats to find more details on our continued growth.
We've been growing quickly both inside and outside of the US, and this month, Europe saw SIGNIFICANT coverage increases 🇪🇺 . We more than 10x our European coverage mostly due to a huge influx in non-branded POI. Here's a look at who shot the furthest up our new European leaderboard:
- Germany 🇩🇪 +1,609,592
- Poland 🇵🇱 +1,404,827
- France 🇫🇷 +1,036,893
- Italy 🇮🇹 +683,700
- Spain 🇪🇸 +681,129
With these release, we added over 2.9M POI in the United States , increasing our POI count by over 33% . This was thanks in large part to an expansion in non-branded POI, including large additions within the following categories:
- Offices of Physicians (except Mental Health Specialists) (621111) with +273,768 POI 🩺
- Hair, Nail, and Skin Care Services (81211) with +119,256 POI 💅
- Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers (531210) with +118,156 POI
We've made improvements to our handling of
open_hours data which lead to improved fill rates in many regions, including:
- US: +5% Overall 🇺🇸
- +7.5% for non-branded POIs
- UK: + 17.6% Overall 🇬🇧
- +19.5% for non-branded POIs
- Rest of world: +6.4% for non-branded POIs
We've added a grand total of 143 brands across 91 countries. Some of the highlights:
- Volksbanken Raiffeisenbanken (SG_BRAND_74e459c4044b77af) with 8,876 POI
- Tesla Supercharger (SG_BRAND_a254577d77b3a98b) with 3,276 POI
- TEDi (SG_BRAND_496767544f2a41d5) with 3,241 POI 🛒
- Bata (SG_BRAND_0a471ac2a544a3a2) with 3,226 POI
Are we missing a brand or country? Please let us know here!
- We rely on POI metadata to track store openings and closings, and we are especially interested in understanding open/close dates for branded POIs. It can take more than a month to infer open/close dates, so we report brand open/close metrics on a one month delay.
- In this release, we flagged 1,538 brands with at least one store closure in May 2022 and 1,716 brands with at least one store opening in May 2022:
Learn more about our open/close columns here
The POI we've added this month span a wide range of categories, including the following additions:
POI with geometry:
- Offices of Physicians (except Mental Health Specialists) (621111) with +599,423 POI 🩺
- Hair, Nail, and Skin Care Services (81211) with +468,544 POI 💅
- Full-Service Restaurants (722511) with +393,410 POI 🍽
- Financial Transactions Processing, Reserve, and Clearinghouse Activities (522320) with +8,631 POI
- Commercial Banking (522110) with +7,392 POI
- Other Gasoline Stations (447190) with +4,872 POI
- We are ingesting many sources and due to source changes and processing changes, Placekeys do drop over time. In this release, we dropped 63,272 Placekeys (34,152 branded and 29,120 non-branded).
- To keep track of the status, predecessors, and latest successor of each Placekey, you can try using the Lineage API.
- The known bug that caused some brands to drop their values from the
category_tagscolumn has been fixed and all POI should again display the expected tags.
- There are no longer any POIs with overlapping
open_hoursthat previously showed a place as being simultaneously open and closed at the same time.
Every month, we highlight some of our favorite new polygons getting released. In keeping with our theme of huge European expansion, here are a few of our favorite new German polygons!
In last month's delivery, SG Monthly Patterns had 4,258,241 POIs (US only). This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 5,453,886 POIs (net +1,195,645).
Last month, SG Monthly Patterns had 983,452,895 visits from 42,529,303 visitors. This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 880,355,605 visits from 37,929,394 visitors (delta -103,097,290 visits, -4,599,909 visitors).
Our Neighborhood Patterns product, provides more generalized foot traffic flows across census block groups. In the
USwe have 2,018,935,077 raw stops (-242,643,153 from last month).
Neighborhood Patterns is available in Canada! 🇨🇦 Contact your CSM to learn more or add to your subscription. In
CAwe have 52,133,739 raw stops (-5,577,742 from last month).
- SafeGraph is aware of some POI that are incorrectly categorized as "Family Planning Centers" (621410) and therefore are not generating Patterns calculations. This issue impacts roughly 1,900 POI which will receive updated NAICS code assignments in a future release to rectify the problem.