September-2022 Release Notes (09/06/22)
Welcome to the September 2022 release!
We weren't on vacation. We were adding rows and rows around the globe.
2022-08-30/1661835603 shipped on 2022-09-06)
- +405k new POI across the globe
- +179 new brands across 114 countries
- +32k new elementary and secondary schools
- +257k new courier drop off sites 📦
SafeGraph is delivering more POI each month in countries around the world. This month SG Places has a grand total of 31,140,846, including POI with or without geometry, closed POI and parking lots. This is a net increase of 405,407 places from last month (+95,248🇺🇸, +10,486🇨🇦, +24,796🇬🇧, +274,877 outside these geographies):
- + 144,709 standard POI (+17,878 🇺🇸, +4,215 🇨🇦, +524 🇬🇧, +122,092 )
- + 260,698 point-only POI (+77,370 🇺🇸, +6,271 🇨🇦, +24,272 🇬🇧, +152,785 )
Of course, you can always visit our Places Summary Stats to find more details on our continued growth.
We've added a grand total of 179 brands across 114 countries. Some of the highlights:
Courier Drop Sites 📦
This month, we've added locations for specialized drop sites for courier services around the globe. These new point POI fall under Couriers and Express Delivery Services (492110). A few of the notable brands include:
- Amazon Hub (SG_BRAND_8778a9ce54b30c55) with 204,531 POI
- UPS Drop Box (SG_BRAND_21bc583634047f283e0ecd2291b60f31) with 50,560 POI
- Deutsche Post (SG_BRAND_3e631fa3a168fc45) with 2,112 POI
Other notable brands
- Reliance Fresh (SG_BRAND_3e679b20bf34f189) with 4,497 POI 🛒
- Reliance Trends (SG_BRAND_623ed02b664cb344) with 4,496 POI 👚
- Watsons (SG_BRAND_29d95f31d84e2681) with 3,852 POI 💊
- Kroger Pharmacy (SG_BRAND_87a8a4b3d0208c01) with +2,231 POI 💊
Are we missing a brand or country? Please let us know here!
Brand Openings and Closings
- We rely on POI metadata to track store openings and closings, and we are especially interested in understanding open/close dates for branded POIs. It can take more than a month to infer open/close dates, so we report brand open/close metrics on a one month delay.
- In this release, we flagged 1,601 brands with at least one store closure in July 2022 and 1,786 brands with at least one store opening in July 2022:
Learn more about our open/close columns here
The POI we've added this month span a wide range of categories, including the following additions:
POI with geometry:
- Elementary and Secondary Schools (611110) with +38,067 POI
- Limited-Service Restaurants (722513) with +12,560 POI
- Pharmacies and Drug Stores (446110) with +11,928 POI 💊
- Couriers and Express Delivery Services (492110) with +257,203 POI 📦
- Other Gasoline Stations (447190) with +2,227 POI
- We are ingesting many sources and due to source changes and processing changes, Placekeys do drop over time. In this release, we dropped 74,105 Placekeys (49,764 branded and 24,341 non-branded).
Every month, we highlight some of our favorite polygons. This month, with the NFL season about to kick off, we're taking a look at a few of our favorite football stadiums! 🏈 🏟
Enhancements - Patterns
In last month's delivery, SG Monthly Patterns had 6,006,460 POIs (US only). This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 6,005,659 POIs (net -801).
Last month, SG Monthly Patterns had 906,864,194 visits from 34,445,184 visitors. This month, SG Monthly Patterns has 946,414,937 visits from 17,074,550 visitors (delta +39,550,743 visits, -17,370,634 visitors).
Our Neighborhood Patterns product, provides more generalized foot traffic flows across census block groups. In the
USwe have 2,056,231,428 raw stops (+82,515,389 from last month). In
CAwe have 42,173,906 raw stops (-6,908,833 from last month).
Bug Fixes and Known Issues
- With this release, SafeGraph has addressed the recently discovered issue where several upstream sources contained fraudulent devices which began to increase in number in November 2021. This artificially increased our device counts (as shown in the Normalization Stats and Home Panel Summary files). This most specifically impacted the calculation of the
normalized_visits_by_state_scalingcolumn, and potentially any manual normalization methods leveraging device counts from the panel statistics files. No other columns or calculations would have been adversely effected. We've created this notebook to help adjust for the historical device counts. If you believe this may have impacted you, please contact your CSM for any additional details and support.